Weekend musings.





That photo was from last Tuesday when the temperature peaked in the 30°s. I had to wait until late evening when it had cooled enough to take old Fly the dog for a walk. Nothing to do with cycling, but I liked the photo. 

Saturday was time for some servicing on the Ridgeback. I changed the rear sprocket for a new one. (22 teeth) Laying the new one over the old and they look the same. The old one doesn't look particularly worn, but the new one sounds a lot smoother. It was also a chance to clean up the hub. I watched a couple of YouTube videos about alfine hubs and it was no problem to change the sprocket. The lock ring seems to be rated as a 'nightmare'  but I didn't find it any more awkward than any other spring clip. Just take your time and cover it with a rag so it doesn't escape. 

Everything got a good clean and was put back together with a smear of grease on any moving surfaces. Then it was a bit of chain adjustment and lube. Pump the tyres, check the tightness of everything else and stare at the top tube bag which I find really useful but also really annoying.  I'm forever hitting my knees on it and if I tighten up the straps it makes an irritating groaning noise when I turn the bars. 

On Sunday I met Coastkid as I was nosing around the tools in a local recycling shop. He recommended Topeak top tube bag, so I've ordered one. 

The rest of Sunday was spent sitting around in stables whilst my wife went riding. 


That's a braw big cuddy. 





Comments

Popular Posts