Monday 26th September - commute.

It was a windy morning and the leaves are beginning to fall. With my head down, pedaling hard, I heard a distant buzz of a small engine. It seemed to take forever to catch up and then slowly pass me. It was an old Honda ss50, or maybe some sort of Super Cub. 

The rider wore a pudding bowl helmet and goggles. He was croched with his elbows tucked in to eke out that extra mph. 

He had his chin stuck forward in the defiant pose of someone who convinced his wife that spending the value of a small car on a moped he had wanted as a spotty teen was a really good idea. Now he has to use it. 

Like an asthmatic wasp he slowly buzzed into the distance and I wondered if I will see him regularly. There's a masochistic pride in defying sense and the elements on two wheels when the car would be warmer faster and drier. 



Commuting total 1267.4 miles.


Comments

Popular Posts