Tuesday 9th August - commute

 There was a loud crack from the back of the bike this morning and I assumed I had run over something that had pinged away into the grass. A couple of miles later and there was another 'tonk' sound and the ticking of a broken spoke. I got off to investigate and there were three broken spokes. Two were beside each other. 

I swore a bit, then cable tied the offenders together and continued gingerly. Later on in the morning and Mike's Bikes (Haddington) supplied 4 spokes and nipples.  I was able to fit two at work but the third was on the brake rotor side. I stopped to see Coastkid on the way home and borrow a rotor removal tool. The fitment for his alfine hubs is the same as the normal cassette removal tool. I have one of these but I didn't think it looked right. Unfortunately I found out this evening that mine needs an external fitting tool. I gave up, put everything back together and started research on YouTube. 

Half an hour later and it looks like I had the correct tool at the bottom of my tool box all along. 


The Shimano centrelock seems to be either cassette size or Hollowtech bottom bracket size. 

I'll try again tomorrow evening. 

Commuting total 688.6 miles. 

Comments

Popular Posts